Friday, June 10, 2011

Happy 4th of "JUNE?"

  Four years ago yesterday, there were 28 of us washing the floor at All Saints with our tears and trying to contain our fear, enthusiasm, elation, and terror all at the same time.  June 9, 2007 was when the very first class of Permanent Deacons were ordained in the Diocese of Knoxville.

  As is often the case, this day often falls in the week when all the priests are on retreat so many of us were very busy presiding at communion services during Mass times in some of our parishes.  I was lucky enough to preach at my own parish as well as at All Saints.

  Shortly before the 12:10 service began, I walked out into the dark Sanctuary and stood for a while over my spot where I lay prostrate on the floor, begging God to help me understand the enormity of what was to happen next regarding the ordination rite.

  Four years later, I'm still asking God the same question as I ponder all I've experienced, learned, and continue to hope for.  There are a few things that I have learned for sure that I thought I might share:

1.  Don't offer God your life in vocation unless you are ready to be radically changed.
2.  Don't run from that still small voice in your heart.
3.  Tears are evidence of immeasurable power rather than shallow weakness.
4.  The Eucharist is absolutely central and seminal in understanding our relationship with Christ Jesus.
5.  Maybe the only meaningful thing we can offer God is our thanks and praise.

  These four years have been wonderfully difficult, but through it all I am now a little closer to the person I was created to be than who I was when I began this journey.  Since all of you are part of my vocation and horizon, know that I love being a Deacon, even on the worst days, and that I have received countless blessings in the last four years.  Please pray for me that I would continue to grow in faith, place my trust in the Lord with everything, and that I would cause no harm to the people Jesus places in my path.

No comments: