Ever since I turned 18, I've been riding motorcycles. At first they were borrowed friend's bikes and then they were inexpensive used bikes, all of which I loved riding. About two years ago, my friend Dan Hosford who will also be ordained in a couple weeks, turned me on to BMW bikes. I'd always dreamed of one day owning and riding one and I stumbled into a great deal on one. Dan and I did the major 50K service in my garage in the winter of 2005 and ever since that Spring, I've been hooked.
For years, I've always yearned to see the entire United States of America. I have been to all 49 contiguous states at this point and Alaska is the last one I've never been to. This June, I plan to ride my BMW to Prudhoe Bay, Alaska. I hope to kill three birds with one stone.
Imbedded in my aim and goal to ride to Alaska is a need to somehow process the miracle of holy orders in the form of my ordination into the Permanent Diaconate. I need some time alone to really ponder the change that's taken place within me over the last five years, and to think about Bishop Kurtz's imposition of hands on my head. I plan to self direct a retreat on two wheels which will include much solitude, a lot of prayer, and thanksgiving for my family, my relationship with Jesus Christ, and celebrate the work of my life which is photography. In trying to live out my call as both a baptized Christian and an ordained Deacon, I hope to image the servant Jesus by raising money for a high school in Haiti that I've been involved with through the Sacred Heart Hope for Haiti Mission.
I plan to chronicle my journey of faith by blogging my way through 12,000 miles in about 5 weeks or so. To follow my progess, please check out http://rideforhaiti.blogspot.com/ to track my ride for Haiti. Also, please consider e-mailing a link to the blog to anyone that might be generous to donate money to that cause. Otherwise, I'll be praying for all of you this week that you'll study the right notes, cram with accuracy and gusto, and that you'll all do well on your respective exams.
Please have a safe, productive, and enjoyable summer and we'll see you next semester! God Bless!!!! patrick :)
No comments:
Post a Comment